“Immersive experiences require novel narrative mechanisms & new language of production… The best technology will not produce the change needed without equal excellence in content production and understanding of immersion as a narrative form” – Creative Industries Review 2017
This half day research symposium will explore how researchers, developers and practitioners are approaching the emerging mediums of virtual reality, augmented reality and mixed reality for storytelling. Looking at languages of production, narrative mechanisms and approaches to engaging audiences in experiential media across the spectrum of immersive technology.
It will be of interest to people developing work across a number of areas: from film and documentary, to performing arts and theatre, to arts, culture and heritage and people experimenting with the future possibilities of storytelling.
We are looking for research presentations, case studies and work-in-progress talks that address the following areas:
- Approaches to Narrative, Storytelling & ‘Storydoing’ in VR, AR, MR & 360 media
- Methods of Practice-based Research in Immersive Storytelling
- Methods of Practice in across Immersive Visitor Experiences, Heritage and Digital Placemaking
- Approaches to Audience and User Experience with Immersive Technology.
- Working with Emerging Processes in Immersive Practice (Performance and Volumetric Capture, Sensor-based media, Haptics, Spatial Interfaces, Holographic Projection, Games Engines and real-time rendered media)
- Uses of immersive storytelling to engage with the wider areas such as health, sport, retail and other sectors.
- Speculative Arts Practice and Provocations that explore the future of Immersive Storytelling
- Issues in Academic/Industry Collaborative R&D
Please send a short abstract of what you would like to talk about (c. 250 words) and a brief biog to Peter Woodbridge on firstname.lastname@example.org by October 31st 2018.
You can also sign up to attend the event here: https://www.eventbrite.co.uk/e/immersive-storytelling-experiences-research-symposium-tickets-50433970363